I’ve been in recruitment for more then 10 years and I’m probably really biased when I write this …. recruitment is the best job in the world. It’s fast, competitive, you can impact the life of a candidate and also help change the direction of a company.
Of course don’t get me wrong you do have your off day’s however the good days weigh out the bad. If your a student looking to start a career or even a seasoned professional that is re-evaluating what direction you should head in, this list will help.
- It’s competitive – If your a person that loves competition recruitment is definitely for you.You will soon realise that recruitment is head to head straight up competition and filling requirements can be extremely rewarding. Most day’s you will be up against the best in your industry, for me that was other recruiters recruiting for the likes of Ogilvy & Mather, Edelman, EMAP just to name a few. You will soon realise that the you will have a knack for canvasing the top talent in your industry, building great relationships which will equal to more placements.
- An opportunity to interact with the very best – Which other industry will allow you to speak with the Marketing Director of a multi national firm? Not many. Recruitment allows this. Every month you get to speak with some amazing candidates and get to know them inside out in order to gage what their looking for and why.
- You will be the face of the company – I’ve worked in house and I’ve also worked on some very senior exclusive roles. Your the first person to see who is coming in and who is going out. You get the opportunity to be the brand ambassador, sell the image of the company as you see fit, you will also have the opportunity to spread the word about the company on various social media platform – which all comes with huge responsibility.
- Working closely with management – On a daily basis I always find myself speaking with senior management weather it be the MD, CEO, CMO etc. This is in my eyes was key as to one of the reasons I wanted to work in recruitment – you get to strengthen your relationship but most importantly they see the quality of your work.
- No one day is the same – I love that everyday is different. One day I could be recruiting for a PR manager, the next day an Events Director, I could have client meetings, candidate meetings, PSL meetings, training new staff … like I said no one day is the same.
- Technology – More and more technology is evolving and that has also effected the recruitment industry for the better. Weather it be a new job board, new data base, mobile technology etc it’s always evolving.
- There is always a winner – In the office with your colleagues or when it comes to placement. Recruitment is unique in the sense that someone always win’s. You may get that placement where you were competing with five other recruiters or you were this months top biller – like I said there is always a winner.
- Growth – One thing that I believe we all crave more then money is growth and that’s what recruitment gives you. There are many direction’s you can head in – the principal route or the team leader/manger route. Recruitment company’s grow essentially because there people grow so everybody wins.
- It’s all on you – When I was looking at getting into recruitment the one thing that stuck in my mind was that “this is all down to you, the quicker you learn, the quicker you grow”. I love that my destiny is in my own hand’s.
- Money – Recruitment can be very fruitful if your willing to work and put the hours in. Once you get the hang of it and develop a system then – lift off! Simply put – It’s in your own hands.
There you have it my top 10 reasons why recruitment is the best job in the world. The recruitment industry is always looking for talented recruiters. You need to ask yourself – can I do it? do I want to do it? is this the career for me? For me personally I love my job I meet lot’s of different people everyday, I work with the best company’s within media and advertising, I impact peoples live’s, I write my own pay cheque, I get to train and develop some great recruiter’s and I take great pride in what I do.